JCDBB Weapons (see JDD, EBC AND KGD)
A student shall not knowingly possess, handle or transmit any object that can reasonably be considered a weapon at school, on school property or at a school - sponsored event. This shall include any weapon, any item being used as a weapon or destructive device, or any facsimile of a weapon.
Weapons and Destructive Devices
As used in this policy, the term "weapon" and/or destructive device shall include, but shall not limited to:
* any item being used as a weapon or destructive device
* any facsimile of a weapon
* any weapon which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
* the frame or receiver of any weapon described in the preceding example;
* any firearm muffler or firearm silencer;
* any explosive, incendiary or poison gas, bomb, grenade, rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces, missile having an explosive or incendiary charge or more than 1/4 ounce, mine or similar device;
* any weapon which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than 1/2 inch in diameter; any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into a destructive device described in the two immediately preceding examples, and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled;
* any bludgeon, sand club, metal knuckles or throwing star;
* any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.
* any electronic device designed to discharge immobilizing levels of electricity, commonly known as a stun gun.
Penalties for Possession
Possession of a firearm or other weapon shall result in expulsion from school for a period of one calendar year, except the superintendent may recommend this expulsion requirement be modified on a case - by - case basis (see JDC). Possession of a facsimile of a weapon may result in suspension or expulsion. Expulsion hearings for possession of a weapon shall be conducted by the superintendent or the superintendent's designee.
Students violating this policy shall be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency(ies) and if a juvenile, to SRS or the Commissioner of Juvenile Justice.
Approved 7/15/2004: KASB Recommendation - 9/97; 6/99; 6/00; 6/01; 6/04